Breakthrough Inspiration Awards honor producer of Oscar-nominated film “The Hunting Ground”
Benefit dinner convenes 400 leaders and social change actors from fields including global media, finance, philanthropy and women’s and girls’ rights
NEW YORK — On April 29, global human rights group Breakthrough will host the2016 Breakthrough Inspiration Awards, honoring changemakers taking action to build a world where gender-based violence is unacceptable and everyone lives with dignity, equality and justice. The Inspiration Awards will inspire, engage, and empower by gathering together innovative leaders — from the CEO of a global corporation to young activists in Indiana. Comedian and writer Judy Gold, who has appeared most recently on “Louie,” “30 Rock,” “The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” and “Broad City,” will emcee the gala. Breakthrough will present its Changemaker Inspiration Award to Amy Ziering, producer of the Oscar-nominated film “The Hunting Ground,” which made the issue of campus sexual assault impossible to ignore. Rowan University men’s a cappella group Profecy will perform the Oscar-nominated Lady Gaga song “Til It Happens To You,” originally written for “The Hunting Ground” campaign to raise awareness and honor survivors of sexual assault. Dinesh Paliwal, chairman, president and CEO of Harman, will also receive a Breakthrough Inspiration Award for elevating and integrating a human rights framework within his corporate business model.
The gala’s theme is the power of storytelling to transform gender norms and promote equality. The event will highlight Breakthrough’s innovative new transmedia storytelling platform THE G WORD, honored this month for Best Web: Activism by the 20th Annual Webby Awards. Breakthrough also recently received $1.25 million through a 2016 Skoll Award for Social Entrepreneurship.
WHEN: Friday, April 29 at 6 p.m. ET
WHERE: Mandarin Oriental, 80 Columbus Circle, New York, NY 10023
WHO: For a complete list of co-chairs and the host committee, click here.
- Judy Gold, standup comedian, writer and GLAAD Award winner
- Dinesh Paliwal, chairman, president and chief executive officer, Harman
- Ila Paliwal, recording artist, producer and philanthropist
- Amy Ziering, Academy Award-nominated and Emmy Award-winning documentary filmmaker
- Dr. Giovanni Caforio, chief executive officer, Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Miri Ben-Ari, Grammy Award winner and Goodwill Ambassador of Music for the United Nations
- Bill Phan and Will McElhaney, leaders of Men Against Rape & Sexual Assault at Indiana University, Bloomington
- Profecy, a cappella group from Rowan University, singing “Til It Happens To You”
Breakthrough is a global human rights organization working to make violence and discrimination against women and girls unacceptable. Our cutting-edge multimedia campaigns, community mobilization, agenda-setting and leadership training equip men and women worldwide to challenge the status quo and take bold action for the dignity, equality and justice of all.