Breakthrough is a global human rights organization driving the cultural change we need to build a world in which all people live with dignity, equality, and respect. We do this using a potent mix of media, arts, and tech with an intersectional feminist approach.
We are seeking a full-time Creative Director who will be pivotal in helping to shape Breakthrough’s creative vision and multimedia pursuits. This includes, but is not limited to, the ambitious her.stories project (recently funded by the NoVo Foundation), an innovative multimedia production exploring the lived experiences of Black girls and young women in the United States.
The Creative Director will be an innovative and enterprising individual with the passion for changing culture and celebrating and uplifting those most marginalized by the status quo. They will execute Breakthrough’s mission through the use of various mediums including film, photography, art, animation, VR/AR, and other emerging media and technology. They will have both the creative ideation skills and the technical production knowledge to produce powerful, visually rich, and engaging content that adheres to Breakthrough’s aesthetic from start to finish.
- Oversee all of Breakthrough’s long-term and short-term media production, including: co-ideation, research, contracting, directing, managing staff and outsourced production, editing, messaging, and distribution.
- Lead filming and production, as well as other artistic/curatorial projects, in the field across the United States. This position involves travel.
- Lead and support the ideation of creative digital and on-the-ground campaigns that supplement and amplify Breakthrough’s productions.
- Keep Breakthrough’s productions on the cutting edge through innovative work that employs the newest emerging media and tech.
- Direct and manage the creative team, and collaborate closely with leadership, development, operations, and communications staff.
- Lead overall creative strategy in collaboration with leadership.
- Work closely with Breakthrough India to create global media campaigns and communications.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with vendors, consultants, pro bono providers, and strategic partners.
- 7-10 years of experience in digital media production and project management.
- A robust portfolio of multimedia work showcasing your visual aesthetic, cinematography, production design, and narrative building (work samples required).
- Strong knowledge of various computer technologies/applications/languages.
- Strong knowledge of narrative and documentary video editing for both short and long form formats.
- A wide breadth of knowledge in digital filmmaking techniques and processes.
- Understanding of how to pitch films for potential broad distribution.
- Deep knowledge of new media narrative techniques — 360 video, VR, AR — and their potential applications for culture change.
- Experience editing in Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.
- Proficient understanding of graphic design, color correction, audio mixing, cutting music, motion graphics with experience in graphic design applications like Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- A commitment to human rights, social justice, and intersectionality.
- Strong analytical, organizational and planning skills.
- Strong writing and verbal communications skills.
- The ability to meet quick deadlines and juggle multiple tasks.
- Experience managing staff, consultants, and vendors.
You should have the ability to work in a small, informal, and collaborative atmosphere in a non-profit environment. Salary and benefits are competitive and salary is negotiable based on experience.
Please submit resume, cover letter, a digital portfolio and contact information for three references to email@example.com, or mail applications to the below address. No phone calls.
4 W 43rd St Ste 715
New York, NY 10036
Breakthrough is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws. Breakthrough prohibits discrimination against any employee and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, military status, height and weight, religion, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest record, or any other legally protected status.