We do have a physical office
New York, NY 10036, USA
But if you prefer digital, we're here!
The Information We Collect From You
1. Non-Personally Identifiable Information When you enter the Breakthrough Sites, we may collect certain non-personally identifiable information. This may include your browser information (including browser type, browser version, host operating system, and browser language) and your IP address. We use this information to help diagnose problems with our servers and for other administrative purposes.
In addition, aggregate traffic information may also be collected at the Breakthrough Sites from this non-personally identifiable information. We may use this data for improving the services offered at the Breakthrough Sites.
2. Personally Identifiable Information Some services offered by Breakthrough are only available if we have certain information about you. We collect and process the following personally identifiable information related to our services:
- User Generated Content. If you contribute content to the Breakthrough Sites (e.g. text, photos, videos), we may ask that you provide your name, age and e-mail address or other contact information. We may use this information to ensure that you are old enough to contribute content to the Breakthrough Sites or to contact you regarding your content. For instance, if we receive a copyright infringement complaint your content, we will notify you at the e-mail address you have provided. Unless you request that the content you submit be published anonymously, we also will publish your name with your content.
- Supoort. If you contact us directly, we may keep a record of that correspondence and record conversations for training and/or monitoring purposes.
What is a cookie?
Cookies are small text files that websites place in your browser when you visit them. When you return to the site, the site can access its previously placed cookie to uniquely identify your browser. Cookies accomplish several different things. They recall your preferences at a website, help content render more efficiently, and improve the overall user experience on a website. They can also help advertisers see what interests you and what advertising may be relevant to you. For further information on cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Breakthrough will never rent, trade or sell your e-mail address. However, we may on occasion share your name and postal address with other organizations unless you opt-out. If you would prefer that your name and postal address not be shared with other, simply send us a request via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
What types of cookies do we use on the Breakthrough Sites?
We primarily use two different types of cookies on this website: (1) Strictly Necessary Cookies and (2) Analytics Cookies:
Strictly Necessary Cookies: These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features and services, such as accessing secure areas of the website. These cookies do not gather information about you that could be used for marketing or remembering where you have been on the internet.
Analytics Cookies: These cookies collect information about how visitors use a website, for instance, which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies do not collect information that identifies you. All the information that these cookies collect is anonymous and is used only to improve a website’s services.
Specifically, the Breakthrough Sites use Google Analytics Cookies. Information collected by the Google Analytics cookies will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States of America in accordance with its privacy practices. To see an overview of privacy at Google and how this applies to Google Analytics, visit http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/ads/#toc-analytics. You may opt out of tracking by Google Analytics by visiting https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en-GB..
You can enable, disable or delete cookies within your browser. In order to do this, follow the instructions provided by your browser (usually located within the “Help”, “Tools” or “Edit” menu). Disabling a cookie or category of cookie does not delete the cookie from your browser; you will need to do this yourself from within your browser by choosing the option to delete cookies. If you have disabled one or more analytics cookies, we may still use information collected from cookies prior to your disabled preference being set, however, we will stop using the disabled cookie to collect any further information.
Privacy of Children and Sensitive Consumer Information
Use of Information Collected
1. Primary Purpose of Information Collected
The information and data collected at the Breakthrough Sites is primarily for the purposes of:
- Ensuring that content and services from our site is presented to you in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- Providing you with the services you request;
- Notifying you about changes to our service and policies; and
- Responding to your customer support inquiries.
We may periodically contact you using information supplied to the site (e.g. to provide newsletters you have requested). You may opt out of receiving certain communications by unsubscribing or emailing us at email@example.com. Certain communications, such as those regarding changes to our policies or changes to services you have purchased, you may not opt out of.
Disclosure of your Personal Information
1. Third Parties
We do not rent, share, sell, or trade personally identifiable information with third parties for their promotional purposes.
2. Compliance with Law
3. Service Providers
We may employ service providers and other companies and individuals to perform functions and provide services on our behalf (such as donation processing, e-mail service, account management). These entities may have access to your personal information to the extent needed to perform their functions and also to provide you with the services that you have requested.
Your California Privacy Rights
Under California’s “Shine the Light” law, California residents have the right to receive information from us regarding categories of personal information the Site shared with its affiliates during the previous calendar year, if any. This information will be provided free of charge, once per calendar year upon request. To request this information please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Request for California Privacy Information”. We will respond to such written requests within 30 days following receipt at the e-mail or mailing address stated above.
We have implemented reasonable measures to protect the information we collect and store, taking into consideration the types of risks we face and the reasonable protections available to us. No method of protecting information is 100% secure, and we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Privacy Practices of Third Parties
Let’s Breakthrough, Inc.
4 West 43rd Street, Suite 715, New York, NY 10036
These Terms and Conditions of Use (“Terms”) are entered into by and between you and Let’s Breakthrough, Inc. (“Breakthrough”). This is a contract between you and Let’s Breakthrough. In consideration of your use of and access to this Internet site, and other websites, services and apps on which these Terms are posted or expressly referenced (“Breakthrough Sites”), and the promises and obligations herein, and intending to be legally bound, you and Breakthrough hereby agree as follows:
1. Changes in Terms
Breakthrough shall have the right at any time and without prior notice, at its sole discretion, to revise these Terms or to impose new terms and conditions with respect to access to or use of the Breakthrough Sites. Such revisions and additions shall be effective immediately upon notice thereof, which may be given by any means, including without limitation posting the revised or additional terms and conditions on the Breakthrough Sites.
These Terms are effective until terminated by Breakthrough. Breakthrough may terminate these Terms without notice and at any time in connection with any of the Breakthrough Sites. In the event of termination, you are no longer authorized to access those Breakthrough Sites. The restrictions imposed on you with respect to the Content (defined below), and the disclaimers, indemnities, and limitations of liabilities set forth in these Terms shall survive termination.
Breakthrough shall also have the right without notice, for any reason and at any time to terminate some or all of the Breakthrough Sites or any feature or portion thereof, or any products or services offered through them, or to terminate any individual’s right to access or use of the Breakthrough Sites or any feature or portion thereof.
3. Intended users
The Breakthrough Sites are not intended for or directed at users under the age of 18.
4. Use of Site
While using the Breakthrough Sites, you agree that you will not:
- Upload, send, or otherwise transmit any content or information that is unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene or otherwise objectionable, or infringes on Breakthrough’s or any third party’s intellectual property or other rights;
- Use the services in connection with contests, pyramid schemes, chain letters, junk email, spamming, or any duplicative or unsolicited messages (commercial or otherwise);
- Create a false identity for the purpose of misleading others;
- Upload, send or otherwise transmit any information or software that contains a virus, worm, Trojan horse, or other harmful or disruptive component;
- Use the Breakthrough Sites for any unlawful purpose;
- Modify, adapt, frame, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble any portion of the Breakthrough Sites; or
- Use any spider, robot, crawler, or other automated or manual means to retrieve, index, “scrape”, “data mine,” or in any way reproduce or circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the Breakthrough Sites or their contents.
5. Breakthrough Sites Content
The text, images, trademarks, trade names, photographs, graphics, logos, illustrations, descriptions, data, and other material provided by Breakthrough on or through the Breakthrough Sites, as well as the selection, assembly, and arrangement thereof, are referred to collectively as the “Content”.
The Content may contain errors, omissions, or typographical errors or may be out of date. Breakthrough may change, delete, or update any Content at any time and without prior notice. The Content is provided for informational purposes only.
Unless otherwise noted, all Content is protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, and other proprietary rights that are owned by Breakthrough or by third parties that have licensed their use to Breakthrough. You may view and use the Content only for your personal information and you shall retain intact all copyright and other proprietary notices. Except as provided in the foregoing, Breakthrough does not grant to you or any person any right to use, reproduce, copy, modify, transmit, display, publish, sell, license, create derivative works, publicly perform, or distribute by any means, method, or process whatsoever, now known or hereafter developed, any of the Content on or transmitted through the Breakthrough Sites, including without limitation by transferring, downloading, or otherwise copying any Content onto a hard drive or other storage medium. Any use of the Content, except as specifically permitted in these Terms or as otherwise expressly permitted in the Content or in a writing signed by Breakthrough, is strictly prohibited.
6. User Contributions
The Breakthrough Sites are a forum for users to share their personal stories. As such, they may contain other forums, bulletin boards, blogs, comment sections or other interactive features (collectively, “Interactive Services”) that allow users to post, submit, publish, display or transmit to other users or other persons (hereinafter, “Post”) content or materials (collectively, “User Contributions”) on or through the Breakthrough Sites.
All User Contributions must comply with the Content Standards set out in these Terms.
Any User Contribution you submit or Post to the site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. By providing any User Contribution on the Breakthrough Sites, you grant us and our affiliates, partners and service providers, and each of their respective licensees, successors and assigns, a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual, and non-revocable license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to use, reproduce, modify, display online and in any present or future media, create derivative works of, or to allow downloads of, and/or distribute any such User Contribution.
You represent and warrant that:
- You own or control all rights in and to the User Contributions and have the right to grant the license granted above to us and our affiliates, partners and service providers, and each of their respective licensees, successors and assigns.
- All of your User Contributions do and will comply with these Terms.
- You understand and acknowledge that you are responsible for any User Contributions you Post, submit, or contribute, and you, not Breakthrough, have full responsibility for such content, including its legality, reliability, accuracy and appropriateness.
We are not responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any User Contributions Posted or otherwise submitted by you or any other user of the Breakthrough Sites.
Breakthrough retains the right to review User Contributions before they are posted on the Breakthrough Sites to ensure that the content is consistent with the purpose of the Breakthrough Sites. Breakthrough may edit or revise the format of User Contributions. Breakthrough does not edit or revise the substance of the User Contributions or verify their accuracy, reliability or legality and is not responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any User Contributions.
Breakthrough has the right to:
- Remove or refuse to post any User Contributions for any or no reason in our sole discretion.
- Take any action with respect to any User Contribution that we deem necessary or appropriate in our sole discretion, including if we believe that such User Contribution violates the Terms, including the Content Standards, infringes any intellectual property right or other right of any person or entity, threatens the personal safety of users of the Breakthrough Sites or the public or could create liability for Breakthrough.
- Take appropriate legal action, including without limitation, referral to law enforcement, for any illegal or unauthorized use of the Breakthrough Sites.
- Terminate or suspend your access to all or part of the Breakthrough Sites for any or no reason, including without limitation, any violation of these Terms.
Without limiting the foregoing, we have the right to fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing us to disclose the identity or other information of anyone posting any materials on or through the Breakthrough Sites.
However, we cannot review all material before it is posted on the Breakthrough Sites, and cannot ensure prompt removal of objectionable material after it has been posted. Accordingly, we assume no liability for any action or inaction regarding transmissions, communications or content provided by any user or third party. We have no liability or responsibility to anyone for performance or nonperformance of the activities described in this section.
These Content Standards apply to any and all User Contributions and use of Interactive Services. User Contributions must in their entirety comply with all applicable federal, state, local and international laws and regulations. Without limiting the foregoing, User Contributions must not:
- Contain any material which is defamatory, libelous, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable.
- Promote sexually explicit or pornographic material, violence, or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual property or other rights of any other person.
- Be likely to deceive any person.
- Promote any illegal activity, or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act.
- Cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety or be likely to upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person.
- Impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or organization.
- Involve commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes and other sales promotions, barter or advertising.
- Give the impression that they emanate from or are endorsed by us or any other person or entity, if this is not the case.
7. User Contributions-Adult Content
The Breakthrough Sites are a forum for users to share their personal stories, including stories from survivors of violence. Some of these stories may be difficult, upsetting and suitable only for a mature audience. Before entering the Breakthrough Sites, you should be sure that you are prepared to encounter stories that contain trauma, violence, abuse, sexual violence, including violence against children, and that may upset or offend you.
9. Copyright Infringement Policy
Reporting Copyright Infringement
Breakthrough takes claims of copyright infringement seriously. We will respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement that comply with applicable law. If you believe any materials accessible on or from the Breakthrough Sites infringe your copyright, you may request removal of those materials from the Breakthrough Sites by submitting written notification to our Copyright Agent (designated below). In accordance with the Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (17 U.S.C. § 512) (“DMCA”), the written notice (the “DMCA Notice”) must include substantially the following:
- Your physical or electronic signature.
- Identification of the copyrighted work you believe to have been infringed or, if the claim involves multiple works on the Breakthrough Sites, a representative list of such works.
- Identification of the material you believe to be infringing in a sufficiently precise manner to allow us to locate that material.
- Adequate information by which we can contact you (including your name, postal address, telephone number and, if available, e-mail address).
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law.
- A statement that the information in the written notice is accurate.
- A statement, under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
You may submit your DMCA Notice to the address below:
Attn: Marc Sokol
If you fail to comply with all of the requirements of Section 512(c)(3) of the DMCA, your DMCA Notice may not be effective.
Please be aware that if you knowingly materially misrepresent that material or activity on the Breakthrough Sites is infringing your copyright, you may be held liable for damages (including costs and attorneys’ fees) under Section 512(f) of the DMCA.
It is our policy in appropriate circumstances to disable access to the Breakthrough Sites and/or terminate the accounts of users who are repeat infringers.
Information for Users Outside the United States
11. Disclaimer and Limitation of Liability as to the Breakthrough Site, Content, and Services
BREAKTHROUGH MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO THE BREAKTHROUGH SITES OR ANY LINKED SITE OR ITS CONTENT, INCLUDING THE AVAILABILITY OF ANY SITE OR THE CONTENT, INFORMATION, AND MATERIALS ON IT OR THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR TIMELINESS OF THAT CONTENT, INFORMATION, AND MATERIALS. BREAKTHROUGH ALSO DOES NOT WARRANT OR REPRESENT THAT YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF THE BREAKTHROUGH SITES OR ANY LINKED SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR FREE OF ERRORS OR OMISSIONS, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT THE BREAKTHROUGH SITES OR ANY LINKED SITE IS FREE OF COMPUTER VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, ALL CONTENT PROVIDED ON OR THROUGH THE BREAKTHROUGH SITES IS PROVIDED TO USERS “AS IS,” WITH NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, SECURITY, OR ACCURACY. THE “AS IS” CONDITION OF CONTENT IS EXPRESSLY MADE A CONDITION OF ANY TRANSACTION ARISING THROUGH OR AS A RESULT OF THE BREAKTHROUGH SITES. Please note that some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so some of the above exclusions may not apply to you. Check your local laws for any restrictions or limitations regarding the exclusion of implied warranties.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL BREAKTHROUGH, ITS PARTNERS AND AFFILIATES, OR THEIR RESPECTIVE DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, OR AGENTS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR TO ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, WHETHER IN CONTRACT OR IN TORT, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF ACCESS TO OR USE OF OR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE ANY OF THE BREAKTHROUGH SITES OR ANY LINKED SITE OR ITS CONTENTS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION LOST PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, OR LOSS OF PROGRAMS OR OTHER DATA ON COMPUTER SYSTEMS OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF BREAKTHROUGH IS EXPRESSLY ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Breakthrough, Breakthrough’s affiliates and partners, and their affiliates and related entities and their respective directors, officers, employees, and agents from and against all claims, losses, damages, liabilities, and costs (including without limitation reasonable attorneys’ fees and court costs), arising out of or relating to your breach of these Terms, your User Contributions, or your access to or use of the Breakthrough Sites. You are solely responsible for interactions with our business partners and affiliated companies and other users of Breakthrough Sites. To the extent permitted by applicable law, you hereby release Breakthrough from any and all claims or liability related to any product or service provided through the Breakthrough Sites and any conduct, action, or inaction by a business partner or affiliated company. The foregoing indemnification obligation shall survive termination of these Terms and the operation of the Breakthrough Sites or any product or service provided to you arising out of or relating to your use of the Breakthrough Sites.
13. Third-Party Content Disclaimer
Breakthrough routinely contains links to external, third party websites. By providing links to other websites, Breakthrough does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to Breakthrough. Breakthrough does not operate or control and has no responsibility for the information, products and/or services found on any external sites. Nor do such links represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information, products and/or services provided on or through any external sites, including, without limitation, warranties of any kind, either express or implied, warranties of title or non-infringement or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Visitors to the Breakthrough Sites assume complete responsibility and risk in their use of any external sites. Visitors should direct any concerns regarding any external link to its site administrator or webmaster.
14. Entire Agreement
These Terms constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to your access, use, and receipt of services from the Breakthrough Sites and supersede all prior agreements, negotiations and discussions between you and Breakthrough relating to the same. There are no third-party beneficiaries of the agreement.
No waiver by Breakthrough of any breach or default hereunder shall be deemed to be a waiver of any preceding or subsequent breach or default. If any provision of these Terms shall be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from the Terms and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any other provisions of the Terms. The headings and captions in these Terms are intended for convenience only and shall in no way affect the interpretation of the Terms.
Access to or use of the Breakthrough Sites shall not be construed as Breakthrough’s purposeful availment of the privilege or benefits of doing business in any state or legal jurisdiction other than the State of New York. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, without regard to conflicts of law provisions. Additionally, any claims brought against Breakthrough shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York. Sole and exclusive jurisdiction for any action or proceeding arising out of, or related to, this Agreement, use of the Breakthrough Sites, or any services provided through the Breakthrough Sites, shall be in the state or federal courts located in the State of New York.