Imagine a world in which violence against women and girls is unacceptable—out-there, unusual, just not done. In that world, everyone has equal access to hope, happiness, human rights. And by joining our team—and the Breakthrough Generation—you will help get us there.
This is your opportunity to:
- become a key player in an award-winning organization recognized globally for its ambitious, audacious campaigns, programs, and partnerships that have made human rights real, relevant, and urgent for millions worldwide.
- join an energetic, creative, close-knit team, based in the U.S. and India, that thrives on innovation and collaboration.
- help drive the culture and norm change required to prevent violence against women and promote the human rights of all.
- help build local, national, and global demand for women’s and human rights.
- equip new leaders—particularly men—to take bold action to make violence against women everyone’s issue.
- implement game-changing approaches to ending sexual harassment and assault, domestic violence, early marriage, son preference, violence against women in pop culture, and more.
- use arts, media, and tech to grab mass attention and drive irreversible change.
We say “Human rights start with you.”
So when do you start?
Join the Breakthrough Generation as our Social Media Intern.
The Social Media Internship is open to students who wish to build their experience as leaders making violence against women unacceptable. As an intern, you will
- learn what it takes to drive change in your own community, nationally, and globally;
- gain practical experience and knowledge on how to make change happen;
- work on groundbreaking multimedia projects, digital campaigns, or on-the-ground events;
- receive mentoring and leadership development training that support you as a member of the Breakthrough Generation.
At the end of the program, you will go back to your college campuses or communities equipped with tools and techniques to drive the culture change that will make violence against women unacceptable.
Our past interns have been incredible leaders – they have gone on to work in the Peace Corps in the Horn of Africa on public health strategies, become a staffer in a U.S. Senator’s office, become a film producer, and have even joined Breakthrough’s staff.
The Social Media Intern will work with our Communications and Program staff to develop material for Breakthrough’s social media platforms, with an emphasis on graphic design and content curation. The intern must have basic Adobe Photoshop skills, and will take primary responsibility for creating graphics for social media. The intern will also have the opportunity to learn about content curation tools and will assist the team in filling our social media presence with relevant, interesting, and exciting content about gender, culture change, and more.
The Social Media Internship will start immediately, with the internship running through the spring semester with the possibility of extension. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. The intern will be primarily based out of Breakthrough’s New York City headquarters, but will have some opportunity for remote work. The intern is expected to be available for 15 hours per week, with flexible scheduling during business hours.
Interns in the past have received college credit. To receive college credit speak with your internship coordinator at your college or university.
Applicants should be self starters, hard working, enthusiastic, and passionate about improving their communities and have a history of leadership.
Breakthrough is a global human rights organization working to make violence and discrimination against women and girls unacceptable. Our cutting-edge multimedia campaigns, community mobilization, agenda-setting, and leadership training equip men and women worldwide to challenge the status quo and take bold action for the dignity, equality, and justice of all.
Send your letter of interest, resume, and 1-2 page writing sample or some other creative work sample (i.e., graphic design work, short self-produced video clip, or screen shots of strategic social media messaging examples) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please. Only selected candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Breakthrough is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws. Breakthrough prohibits discrimination against any employee and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, military status, height and weight, religion, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest record, or any other legally protected status.