Program Assistant (Part-Time)
APPLICATIONS DUE SEPTEMBER 5, 2017
JOIN OUR TEAM
Imagine a world in which no one is held back by gender or difference, in which everyone regards everyone else as fully human. In that world, everyone has equal access to hope, happiness, and human rights. In this world—on our team—it’ll be your job to help us get there.
This is your breakthrough opportunity to:
- Become a key player in an award-winning organization recognized globally for its ambitious, audacious campaigns, programs, and partnerships that have made human rights real, relevant, and urgent for millions worldwide
- Help drive the culture change required to make violence and discrimination unacceptable
- Use arts, media, tech, and pop culture to grab attention and inspire action
- Join an energetic, creative, collaborative team, based in the U.S. and India, that thrives on innovation and collaboration
We say “Human rights starts with you.” So when do you start?
Breakthrough is seeking a part-time Program Assistant. Reporting to the Program Manager, this individual will be part of a tight-knit program team working to put on successful events, run impactful campaigns, and create cultural and social change. This is a part-time, temporary position with the potential to become full-time permanent. The individual hired for this position will be required to work out of the New York City office two days a week (up to 16 hours; specific days TBD).
This position will pay $15/hour. The desired start date is Tuesday, October 10.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES + RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with event planning, including the Action Lab and Breakthrough’s annual gala
- Help formulate and implement storytelling and digital media campaigns
- Write and edit content on gender and other social justice issues to be published online
- Identify opportunities for social media and campaign partnerships
- Assist with development and implementation of social media campaigns
- Curate social media content as needed
- Participate in team meetings, brain trusts, and strategy sessions
- Administrative tasks such as research, data collection, and knowledge management
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- 1+ year(s) experience in event planning, program implementation, digital storytelling, and curriculum development, preferably for a nonprofit or social justice organization
- Graphic design and video editing experience strongly preferred
- Strong writer with an engaging voice and aptitude for thought-provoking copy
- Empathetic individual with a high level of discretion and knowledge of how to respond to sensitive and impactful stories
- Extremely high level of organization, initiative, attention to detail, responsibility, time management, and follow-through
- Humor, energy for challenges, and passion for social change
- Knowledge of gender and intersectional social justice issues preferred
- Send a resume and cover letter outlining your interest in Breakthrough to Mary Iannone at email@example.com.
- Electronic applications only, please. Applications by mail will not be accepted.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Position will be open until filled.
- Due to a high volume of responses, only qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Breakthrough is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws. Breakthrough prohibits discrimination against any employee and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, military status, height and weight, religion, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest record, or any other legally protected status.