Are you driven by the prospect of transforming cultures of inequality?
Do you have experience in creatively using media and popular culture to reach millions of social change agents?
Do you have a track record in creating deep strategies and raising resources to strengthen women’s human rights?
If so…we’d like to talk with you.
Company: Breakthrough – a global social justice organization working to make violence against women unacceptable!
Overview: Breakthrough is recruiting a President/CEO to lead the next phase of its growth and impact. A global organization with offices in Delhi, India and New York City, USA, Breakthrough uses creative strategies to mobilize social change agents to transform the norms and cultures that enable violence against women and girls. Through a potent mix of on-the-ground engagement, innovative social and multimedia campaigns, game-changing partnerships, and agenda setting, Breakthrough makes the issue of gender-based violence real, relevant, urgent and actionable to all.
After 16 years, our Founder/President is moving on. The Boards of Directors from India and the United States are searching for the ideal candidate to lead Breakthrough’s mission, further strengthen Breakthrough’s global “brand”, its financial and programmatic sustainability, and its highly effective and motivated teams in India and the United States. The selected individual will lead a team of nearly 100 staff (India and U.S.) and grow the organization’s budget, currently approaching $5 million annually.
The key deliverables for the President/CEO of Breakthrough include:
- Champion the growth of Breakthrough into a truly global organization and brand from its current two-country, semi-global brand;
- Promote the vision of the organization in diverse venues – from large international and UN conferences, to innovative sponsorships from the private sector and on-the-ground interactions with local staff and activists;
- Lead Breakthrough’s strategic thinking and secure key partnerships at the global level to expand Breakthrough’s reach and resources to ensure that Breakthrough remains at the cutting edge of culture change strategies that make violence against women and girls unacceptable;
- Significantly expand resource mobilization – including with institutional and individual donors as well as by creating new income streams – to ensure that Breakthrough’s financial capacity is able to meet programmatic demand;
- Ensure coherence and cooperation between programs and partners in India and the US, as well as in additional countries where Breakthrough supports or starts partnerships and programs;
- Deepen the practice of shared leadership that has enabled Breakthrough to grow capacity and leadership of staff and to experiment with new approaches to building transnational feminist organizations;
- Implement strategic and coordinated action to ensure that the national Boards in India and the U.S. — as well as a newly formed global board – are able to fulfill their governance roles and fiduciary responsibility as required.
Given that Breakthrough currently has 2 offices (Delhi and New York City) – and could expand to other locations in the future – it is imperative that the candidate is able to travel at least 30% of the time.
Qualifications: The candidate we are seeking will have significant experience as a senior leader of organizations or teams and a history of working with different countries and cultures. We are particularly interested in individuals who have:
- A history of visionary leadership of change and transformation in organizations, especially organizations that work in multiple countries;
- A national and global reputation as a well-respected and well-known voice for human rights and/or in digital and culture change communities;
- Experience in developing and effectively rolling out a global impact agenda and global campaigns;
- An entrepreneurial spirit, a love of innovation, and a willingness to be positively disruptive;
- An impressive track record in and enthusiasm for vastly increasing an organization’s financial resources and demonstrable familiarity with mobilizing funds from a wide network and array of sources;
- Deep commitment to shared leadership and to a participatory and transparent approach in the way you manage and lead organizations and partnerships;
- A proven ability to create an environment that supports the continued professional development of staff, that recognizes staff as key strategic assets, and that ensures a workforce at all levels within the organization that reflects the diversity of our constituencies and partners.
Availability: Interviews will be held in January/February, 2017. We hope to have the candidate in place by April 1, 2017.
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Application deadline: Rolling submissions
Location: Negotiable, but 30% travel required
To Apply: Applicants will submit a resumé and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and addressing how you have approached questions of meaning, purpose, identity, and integrity in your own life and work. Please submit both documents in either Word or PDF format, and address your cover letter to the Breakthrough Search Committee.
Submissions and any additional questions should be emailed directly to the Hiring Manager, Kevin Wenzel, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.
Breakthrough is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws. Breakthrough prohibits discrimination against any employee and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familiar status, military status, height and weight, religion, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest record, or any other legally protected status.