Director of Program and Strategy, U.S.
Based in the U.S. and India, Breakthrough is a global organization known worldwide for its multimedia, multidimensional approach to culture change for gender equality and human rights. We work to make gender based violence and discrimination unacceptable, to make human dignity and full equality the norm. Since 1999, we have harnessed the reach and power of the arts, gaming, comedy, pop music, multimedia, and technology to reach people where they are and inspire them to stand for the human rights, and essential humanity, of all people.
Breakthrough is seeking a new leader for its U.S. program.
We seek someone creative, strategic, and pragmatic, with a keen understanding of the current reality—and the optimism, imagination, and drive to reinvigorate the cultural norms of equality and justice for everyone. Leadership of the U.S. program offers you the chance to be as bold, experimental, and innovative as these times demand.
- Design and implement ambitious, creative programs and partnerships that drive the culture change required to challenge and reduce gender-based violence.
- Use arts, media, tech, and pop culture to capture attention and inspire action.
- Join a small creative team in the U.S. that thrives on innovation and collaboration, as well as a larger global team with an audacious agenda.
- Mobilize your networks in women’s rights, human rights, social justice, and/or culture change to help raise resources.
- Forge partnerships that enable Breakthrough’s campaigns and messages to resonate locally, nationally, and globally.
- You will be an integral part of fundraising for the organization.
- Confidently and persuasively articulate Breakthrough’s unique vision, strategy, and impact to press, potential supporters, allies, and more.
- Lead and grow the young and creative U.S. program team.
- Play a key role in Breakthrough’s collaborative culture and shared leadership model, reporting to the COO and the CEO.
- Work in day-to-day partnership with Breakthrough’s U.S. COO, whose role is to provide the co-thinking, structure, and resources to help make your ideas real.
- 7-10 years experience delivering successful, influential, creative, and innovative programs, campaigns, digital strategies, partnerships, and measurements of impact designed to drive culture change, especially in the area of gender justice.
- Proven passion for and success in using arts and culture to trigger action and change.
- A keen understanding of how to identify, reach, and motivate target audiences primed for change.
- Up-to-date knowledge of current and evolving media, its users/audiences, and its potential for engagement
- A sharp eye for identifying the talent (staff or expert consultants) required to meet team or project needs.
- Excellent communications skills.
Please submit your resumé and cover letter, in either Word or PDF format, to email@example.com. Please use the subject line “Director of Program and Strategy.” Questions may be directed there as well. No phone calls, please. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until position is filled.
COMPENSATION: Salary dependent on experience. Excellent benefits including health, dental, short and long-term disability, and life insurance; 403b and commuter benefits; and generous paid-time off.
Breakthrough is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws. Breakthrough prohibits discrimination against any employee and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familiar status, military status, height and weight, religion, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest record, or any other legally protected status. People of all gender identities, people from underrepresented racial backgrounds, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.